Hello beautiful people of the world, I hope you are all doing well and that you had a great Christmas.
As most of you are already aware (and to the new readers), my blog is all about looking and feeling good on a budget. As much as I love to buy and try out affordable beauty products every chance I get, sometimes I try my level best to save myself some money by looking for other ways (beauty hacks) to utilise products already in my possession. Therefore, today I decided to share with you one of my absolute favourite beauty hacks of all time.
DIY MATTE LIPSTICK
- How many of us actually get to fully use up our eyeshadow palettes before they expire? (majority of eyeshadow expire at 12 months from the day you open and start to use them)
- Wouldn’t you be happier if you had various ways of exhausting your eyeshadow other than your eyes?
- Have you ever wanted to do something fun or experimental with your eyeshadow?
- Ever wondered what else you could do with your eyeshadow?
If your answer is Yes to any or all the above, then this is the right blog post for you to read.
If you do not have majority of the required products, they can be purchased from eBay, Amazon or your local beauty supply store.
- Face primer (doesn’t have to be matte)
- Matte foundation (has to be matte unless you have a matte primer, then you can settle for any foundation)
- Eyeshadow palette (any eyeshadow)
- Vitamin E oil or serum (just to give your matte lipstick some moisture)
- Empty lipstick tubes or pots
NOTE: I did not have a spatula (replaced it with a spoolie and angled brush), syringe (I used pots instead of tubes, therefore there was no need to transfer any product) or the vitamin E serum (used carrot oil instead). For the most part, I improvised by using anything I thought was capable of replacing another.
Products I personally used (NYX stay matte but not flat foundation, angled brush for mixing product, spoolie for scrapping the eyeshadow out of the palette, empty vaseline pots to mix product in, L’OREAL infallible mattifying base,120 LaRoc eyeshadow palette and carrot body oil)
METHOD/ INSTRUCTIONS/ PROCESS
- Assemble your mixing pots (or you can use a plate if you prefer)
- Use a spatula to break and scrap eyeshadow from the palette onto the mixing pots
- Once the eyeshadow is in the pots, break and beat until it’s completely powder (makes the mixing process easier)
- Go ahead and add your foundation, primer and vitamin E or whatever substitute oil/serum onto the pots and mix thoroughly (I will advise to add these products bit by bit as you continously check for consistency and swatches)
- Keep mixing and adding products and swatching until you achieve your desired consistency and pigment
- After all the above has been done and you have achieved your desired matte lipstick finish pigment, the DIY lipstick is then ready for application using your finger (to those uncomfortable with using their fingers, I would advise to use a syringe to transfer product from the pots into the empty lipstick tubes in order to use the applicator instead of your fingers).
- If you have any left over product, cover it up and use within 5-7 days (that is just my personal preference)
(I used 3 similar shades for each lipstick)
(L-eyeshadow in the pots before mixture, TOP RIGHT- product after it was mixed with foundation, face primer and carrot oil, BOTTOM-RIGHT- finished product ready for use)
FINISHED DIY LIPSTICK SWATCHES
APPLICATION OF THE DIY MATTE LIPSTICK
I did a 120 LaRoC eyeshadow palette review a while back and used this method to attain the green lipstick (only difference is that I used a black lip liner to intensity the green ombre lip colour). Check below for the picture;
- Very affordable and the required products are readily available
- Easy to follow Step by step instructions
- Lightweight feel on your lips
- Can make as many different shades as you want
- You can make an emergency lip colour (just in case you run out)
- Lipstick lasts for hours on your lips
- Very little transfer
- There are always health concerns when it comes to using products for different purposes rather than intended and that is totally understandable (I have been using it for a while now with no reaction but bear in mind that, me not having a reaction does not guarantee you not having any).
NOTE: The first one is an affiliate link .
Thank you very much fro taking the time to read my post, have a Happy New Year.